Written by Melody Thacker, Independent Watkins Associate on January 27, 2007
Hardwood floors are very popular today and it’s no surprise since they are attractive and classy. There’s something very inviting when walking into a home with hardwood floors. It’s rich textures; light or dark, old or new, offering a certain charm and elegance. However, they are expensive to install so you’ll want to protect your investment with special cleaning and care. Here are some hardwood floor cleaning tips for you to consider:
- Have everyone remove their shoes when they enter your home, this prevents dirt tracking across your wood floors and the damage it does.
- Sweep daily or several times a week using a soft bristle broom to avoid scratching the wood floors.
- When vacuuming ensure that you use the brush attachment. You don’t want to scratch the surface with the vacuum either.
- Immediately clean up any spills using a soft cloth. Then dry well. Water is the enemy of hardwood floors.
- If your floors are covered with polyurethane, use a very dry damp mop and Watkins organic cleaner for cleaning.
- Use carpet runners in areas where there is a lot of traffic. Be sure to clean the runners regularly so that the dirt doesn’t fall through onto the floors.
- If you wax your floors, check with the manufacturer to ensure you are using the proper wax. There are so many varieties of wood; you want to be certain you are using the correct product.
Hardwood floors are unique; generating warmth and beauty to your home. Dirt and water are the two biggest enemies but your wood floors should last you a lifetime and keep looking like new longer, when properly cared for.